Monday, August 21, 2006

twenty four weeks and counting...

today my sister sent me an email. this is a journalworthy thing all in itself but the subject of this email was figuring out whether or not the person you are with is THE ONE or not.

i have more than a few thoughts on this 'THE ONE' business. last september my then therapist recommended i read and work out of a book called, "Calling In the One" by Katherine Woodward Thomas. she recommended it because i had just dated my umpteenth not-good-for-me-at-all-and-i-really-just-went-out-with-you-because-i'm-bored guy. and predictably i lasted one month. actually i think it was only three weeks. my therapist and i were not under the delusion that this book, once complete, would mean prince charming would knock on the door. what she suggested it for was to do some exploration and inventory into my relationship issues. it was wonderful! i was pissed off a lot and cried a lot and by the end of the book realized that i was TRULY ok with not dating anyone. in fact, i decided i wouldn't. i kinda dug the whole 'getting to know myself' thing. so here i was, for the first time in my life, ok with being single, and coincidentally celibate as i am not a casual sex type of person though sometimes i REALLY REALLY wished i were. but then i met mr. j and the rest is the rest. we hit the twenty four week mark (it's hard for me to count months so i just take it week by week) and all is well. shocking.

now this email was peppered with references to biblical verses in an effort to get the email reader to really think about their chose of a mate. this email and these verses are exactly why i am not a christian. i hate people using the bible to justify their beliefs absolutely. well, that and i don't believe christ died for my sins and i was born in sin - bull to me. anyway, i believe in God and the grace of this spirit i call God but the bible is a real problem to me. one of the verses in the email was about how the husband is the head of the wife. spare me. i remember being 12 and walking out of the service because i was so angry that my reverend was standing in front of the congregation telling us women that we had to obey the men. what kind of shit is that? anyway, the email went on to say: "really stop and think: can you imagine the one you're with now holding your hand and offering you comfort at the funeral of your parent?" seriously, seriously?! hey, that makes me miss grey's anatomy. oh i hope it's not even more melodramatic this new season. speaking of...

i am too ready for fall! y'all don't hear me now! i am TOO ready for fall.

i like that 'no other man' song by christina aguilera. yeah, i said it.

No comments:

Post a Comment