Tuesday, January 8, 2008

dare to dream

I confess I am very excited, politically. I am looking forward to seeing what the nation decides as far as who the next president will be. I've been more than troubled to keep hearing, "I'm not racist but America won't elect Barack Obama". I'm troubled to hear, "I would vote for him but you know the white people aren't going to vote for a black man". Actually, I'm most troubled by the last one because I've heard it far too many times from African-Americans. I find it ridiculous to vote for someone you don't want because you feel others won't vote for who you do want. I want to ask these people, "So 100,000 people vote for Edwards because they're certain Obama will lose and Obama loses by 100,000 votes...does that sound like the fault of others?" It baffles the mind.

Actually, the truth is I'm not completely sold on anyone yet. I've only just been listening to speeches. I watched the NH debates. I'm starting to peruse websites, talk to people and examine records. As crazy as I find the exclusion of someone based on race, I'm just as careful not to support solely based on race. The education of Eris continues.

"Operation: Back to the left side" began it's planning stage last night. It made my head hurt to consider the logistics. A very tenuous plan to actually go back to Portland for a visit was made for next month. We really just need an idea of housing and employment. I think JC was planning on making a smooth transition back to mobile crisis work but given the state of unrest of the mental health community in Portland, things are quite uncertain. But as has become my mantra: We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment