Saturday, August 4, 2007

"Your birthday is 4/15/71"

Bourne Ultimatum. A lazy Sunday morning found me in a multiplex with my sister, her daughter and her daughter's caretaker. The daughter and daughter's caretaker were supposed to be seeing "Ratatouille" but I got the times/theatres mixed up. My niece was happier sitting with all of us anyway and I could not stomach the idea of seeing a rat run around in people's food. Yuck.

This third installment of the Bourne series is based on Jason Bourne seeking the people who began the CIA covert 'Treadstone'. He is eager to find his true identity...again. Before I was so judgemental, I let myself drift into the story. It was not awful. He's being tracked by an evil CIA agent played by David Straitharn, of "Good Night and Good Luck" fame. He's great as the man without a conscience, willing to go down with his sinking ship of a program. Joan Allen and Julia Stiles reprise their roles from "The Bourne Supremacy".

The action is stellar and Matt Damon was terrific as the stoic, confused, highly motivated Jason Bourne. I find his Jason Bourne a sympathetic character. Without revealing anything, I found the ending a little lacking in his reaction to the truth. You let me know what you think, eh?

I've been hearing they're thinking of turning the series into a long running "Bond 007" type of franchise. I'm not so sure that'd be a wise decision but this movie was definitely number one at the box office for a reason.
B+

No comments:

Post a Comment