Friday, March 21, 2008

Fed up


I'm beyond done with the negative responses to Barack Obama's speech. Have you read the Times??

This is what I see as the problem: so many want to proclaim there is no problem.

Was his pastor preaching some hate? Yes. Do a lot of "religious" people do the same? Yes. As many have said, if all of us were to leave a church that espoused a view that was clearly intolerant of a group of people - there'd be many, many empty churches. Churches are run by people. People are fallible. People are not God. God does not equal the church. Also, I can't beleive that now so many white people are running around thinking all black churchgoers hate them because of an AIDS theory. Are you kidding me?!

And tell me why is there the automatic response from some white folks that we're all just 'complaining', we all need to 'get over it' and 'let it go'. I'll tell you when I'll let it go. I'll let it go when I can go into the library across the street and bitchy white woman doesn't audibly sigh and then roll her eyes when I can't produce $3 to pay my fine (who carries cash anymore?!). I'll let it go when I'm not gawked at while walking with my white husband. I'll let it go when I don't have to work in a place where my boss exclaims with shock when learning one of our contracted therapists is black. I'll let it all go when I can stop hearing, "I'm not racist but..."

Until then I guess those people will just have to keep seeing me as an angry black woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment