Friday, October 10, 2008

"What do YOU mean 'you people'?

Tropic Thunder. 

WARNING -Chock full of spoilers- WARNING

Thankfully the old theatre finally got this movie and so the husband and I headed up the street for what I hoped were a couple of good guffaws.

I definitely got what I wanted. The first thing to know is that this movie is ridiculous. Utterly and completely preposterous and thus is director Ben Stiller's point. I doubt he wants to completely vilify Hollywood but he does...almost. The preaching is so subtle it may appear invisible to many if taken at face value. That, however, was the genius for me. The face value of this movie is still pretty entertaining. The satire was even more satisfying. Most have already seen this or at least heard about the characters so I'll spare you. A pretty good synopsis is found here.

I never thought I would ever say this but Tom Cruise  deserves an Oscar. Seriously. I never thought I'd see him, of all people, 'get low'. Robert Downey Jr. bordered on great- when he could be understood. Oh and the husband asks me to put this in my review: Jack Black was awful.  B-

No comments:

Post a Comment